Rene Dawson Collection ::: 231 images
Click on any image to see full details.
Rene Dawson Collection
- Rene Dawson Collection
On the hillside above Burnley Road the chapel was founded in 1777 and enlarged and extended over the years. The church closed in the 1960s and a part is now a private house but the rest is derelict and the chapel roofless.
Looking across Hangingroyd and Nutclough Mills to Birchcliffe late 1880s.
Todmorden town centre looking along Burnley Road to the railway viaduct.
The Garden of Remembrance and War Memorial in Centre Vale Park, which was unveiled on 9th October 1921. The area, which was originally the kitchen garden for Centre Vale Mansion, includes statuary by the sculptor Gilbert Bayes. Nearby is the statue…
St Mary's is the historic Parish Church of Todmorden although although from 1832 until it closed 1992 that honour was held by Christ Church.
The Grade l Listed building dates from 1865/9. It was built by the three Fielden brothers, Samuel, John Jr. and Joshua, in honour of their late father, ‘Honest’ John Fielden MP at a cost of £35,000. It closed in 1987 but following a £1M…
Local cotton mill owner Mr Thos. Ramsbotham erected Centre Vale House in 1826-8. John Fielden bought the Centre Vale estate, which included the house and surrounding parkland, in 1842. Mr Fielden M.P. was famous for introducing the Ten Hours Act…
The railway station is behind the buildings in the centre.
Todmorden Hall, or Todmorden Old Hall, dates from around 1603 and was built by the Radcliffe family replacing an earlier house. It then passed into the Fielden family for several decades up to 1795. In 1924 it became the Post Office and is now a…
The Grade ll listed house was originally built in 1640 for James Stansfield and extensively enlarged in 1862 in Gothic Revival style for Joshua Fielden M.P. It is now divided into apartments.
Looking in the Halifax direction.
The image is overwritten 'Parish Church' but this is Christ Church and not St Mary's which is the historic Parish Church. However with the opening of Christ Church in 1832 that became the Parish Church. In 1987 the decision was taken to close one of…
View across Christ Church and the town to Cross Stone Church on the far hillside. Just discernible below the hillside on the left are the platforms of Stansfield Hall Station on the Todmorden - Burnley line. The station closed in 1944. Stansfield…
View over the station goods yard to the Unitarian Chapel.
Thieveleys Farm, on the west side of the Cliviger Gorge, was a favourite picnic place in Victorian times but the farm was demolished in 1976.
One of several coal mines in the Cliviger area. To the right of the winding gear the Todmorden - Burnley Road.
The Todmorden - Burnley Road (now A646) running through the village.
Holme House or Hall probably dates from the 15th century with re-building in the 17th century and additions in the mid 18th century. Between 1985 and 2003 it was used as a retirement home but was gutted by arson in 2004, but has since been…
The three arch stone bridge on the road between Clitheroe and Waddington over the River Ribble was built about 1815.
No further information.
Can anybody identify.