Elizabeth Ward collection ::: 21 images

Click here to see all 21 images

Click on any image to see full details.

Comments

We welcome further information on all images.

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Collection Tree

  • Elizabeth Ward collection

Social Bookmarking

Items in the Elizabeth Ward collection Collection

The Innkeeper - EWA00121
Possibly George Taylor Stuttard (b1856), with son James Hartley Stuttard, b1891

Towngate, Heptonstall - EWA00120
Royds Farm is on the left and below that is Royd House.

Great House, Colden - EWA00119
This fine example of a yeoman clothiers house was built in the second half of the C16 with early C17 new front to west wing. The rear kitchen wing which was rebuilt early C19. It has a five light chamfered mullioned window with arched lights.

Distant View of Stoodley Pike - EWA00116
Can anybody identify the location?

Cliffe Hill, off Towngate, Midgley – EWA00115
The timber framed and stone-clad Cliffe Hill barn probably dates to the early 17th century with late 18th century alterations. The archway is circa 1700, and the farmhouse has a date stone “INMN 1601”.

Church Lane, Heptonstall - EWA00113
Looking towards Towngate.

West Laithe, Church Lane, Heptonstall - EWA00112
The church yard railings can be seen on the left.

The Old Grammar School, Heptonstall - EWA00111
In 1626 Charles Greenwood, Rector of Thornhill Church, purchased the sub-manor of Heptonstall from Sir Arthur Ingram for £500. He founded Heptonstall Grammar School in 1642 to be maintained by rents from property in Colden (still known as School…

The Old Grammar School, Heptonstall - EWA00110
In 1626 Charles Greenwood, Rector of Thornhill Church, purchased the sub-manor of Heptonstall from Sir Arthur Ingram for £500. He founded Heptonstall Grammar School in 1642 to be maintained by rents from property in Colden (still known as School…

Heptonstall Grammar School. - EWA00109
Located in Churchyard Bottom, the school, seen here through the arch of the Great North Gate, was endowed in 1642 by a legacy of the Rev. Charles Greenwood, Rector of Thornhill and Lord of the Manor of Heptonstall. The school was rebuilt in 1771 and…

Chantry House, Heptonstall - EWA00108
This building stands next the Heptonstall Church graveyard. Since secular properties are not allowed direct access onto consecrated ground, the blocked up doorways leading into the churchyard show that in its earlier days it was an ecclesiastical…

Town Gate, Heptonstall - EWA00107
Royds Farm is on the left and below that is Royd House.

Cruck Frame from Tub Farm, Colden - EWA00105
3rd May 1959. Higher Pilling is the farm on the left, and building right of centre is Newhouses, on Smithy Lane.

Tub Farm, Colden - EWA00103
Highgate can be seen on the left. Photo taken 3rd May 1959.

Unknown Location - EWA00102
Can anybody identify this Pennine farmhouse?

The Square, Hebden Bridge - EWA00101
St George's Square, Hebden Bridge. Bridge Mill and the White Lion on the left and Stubbings School behind. See also ALC00364