Todmorden Antiquarian Society ::: 76 images

Click here to see all 76 images

Click on any image to see full details.

Comments

We welcome further information on all images.

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Collection Tree

  • Todmorden Antiquarian Society

Social Bookmarking

Items in the Todmorden Antiquarian Society Collection

All Saints Church, Harley Wood, Todmorden - TAS00258
All Saints Church, Harley Wood, Lydgate opened 1858 and was demolished in 1975 following closure in 1972.

Outdoor Service in the ruins of St Peter&#039;s, Walsden - TAS00257
St Peter's was devastated by fire in May 1948, but this service in the ruins of the church demonstrated faith in the future. The church was rebuilt and rededicated on 10th March 1956. The church had originally been built in 1845 when Walsden became a…

St Peter&#039;s Walsden - TAS00256
St Peter's was devastated by fire on 28th May 1948, but was rebuilt and re-dedicated on 10th March 1956. The church had originally been built in 1845 when Walsden became a parish in its own right.

Winter Scene at Walsden, Todmorden - TAS00255
St Peter's Church of England Primary School with St Peter's Church behind. The school building is now (2014) being redeveloped as houses, and the school has been re-located to Walsden Junior School site on nearby Rochdale Road.

St Peter&#039;s, Walsden - TAS00254
St Peters Parish Church was constructed in 1845 when Walsden became a parish in its own right and no longer part of Todmorden Chapelry. The church was consecrated in 1848. This photo was taken before the devastating fire that took place on May 28th…

White Hart Fold, Todmorden - TAS00252
The building featured here was demolished and a bank built on the site. Later that was demolished and another bank built, which in its turn was demolished.

St Mary's Church can be seen on the left, and the coal merchant's was run by author Billy…

St Aidan&#039;s Mill, Bacup Road, Todmorden - TAS00251
The second floor was used as a Christian meeting Room.

Oxford Street Mill, Todmorden - TAS00249
This building was used as a meeting room for St Mary's church.

St Mary&#039;s Church, Todmorden - TAS00248
The choir and sanctuary. Taken prior to the re-ordering of the church which took place in the early 1990s.

Organ and Choir Stalls of St Mary&#039;s Church, Todmorden - TAS00247
Taken prior to the re-ordering of the church which took place in the early 1990s.

Interior of St Mary&#039;s Church, Todmorden - TAS00246
Looking down the nave from the chancel. Taken prior to the re-ordering of the church which took place in the early 1990s.

Construction of Birdcage Walk, Todmorden - TAS00245
In 1926 the wall along Church Street was moved back two or three feet to provide extra road width, and a footpath was constructed between White Hart Fold and Rise Lane. A number of graves had to be moved in the process and screens were erected…

St Mary&#039;s Church, Todmorden - TAS00244
There seems to have been a church on the site since the 15th century but prior to the mid-19th century Todmorden was a chapelry mainly in the Parish of Rochdale but part in the Parish of Halifax. With the opening of Christ Church in 1832 St Mary's…

St Mary&#039;s Church, Todmorden, c1860. - TAS00243
There seems to have been a church on the site since the 15th century but prior to the mid-19th century Todmorden was a chapelry mainly in the Parish of Rochdale but part in the Parish of Halifax. With the opening of Christ Church in 1832 St Mary's…

St Mary&#039;s Church, Todmorden, c1770 - TAS00242
There seems to have been a church on the site since the 15th century but prior to the mid-19th century Todmorden was a chapelry mainly in the Parish of Rochdale but part in the Parish of Halifax. With the opening of Christ Church in 1832 St Mary's…

Hough Stone Cottage and Bobbin Mill - TAS00241
Drawing of Hough Stone Cottage by unknown artist.

Bridge End, Halifax Road, Todmorden - TAS00239
Halifax Road, at Richmond Street, looking east towards Spring Gardens. Key Syke Lane goes off to the right.

Canal Wharf, Todmorden - TAS00235
The building on the right is the Golden Lion. The steps lead up to Longfield Road. "Neddy Bridge", the canal bridge by Fielden Square is off to the left of the picture.

Bus Crash - TAS00230
Todmorden bus No. 3 first registered in 1920.

Mills &amp; Allotments - TAS00211
The big red brick building is the bus garage, on the left is the Shannon and Chesapeake Inn, and on the right is the destructor building which contained an incinerator. The gas works is just off picture to the right.