Browse Items (50 total)

  • Tags: #Hebden Bridge Station

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00287.jpg
View over the railway station to the town and Heptonstall hillside. Bottom right the municipal gas works at Crow Nest. The station wedged between the railway warehouse and Victoria Mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC04554.jpg
Postcard addressed to Miss Eliza Stott, postmarked October 15 1908, with the message 'Many happy returns of your birthday, with love'. F & H Sutcliffe Mill and offices centre right of picture,

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC04492.jpg
Lloyd Greenwood was born at Fairfield, Hebden Bridge. In 1938, he won a place at the Halifax Junior Technical School, now Calderdale College, and went on to become a clerk with the London, Midland and Scottish Railway Company.
He started work at the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00465.jpg
Probably about 1900. Bottom right the 'new' station built in 1891/2 and to its left the large station goods warehouse. Across Calder Holmes from it the extensive Crossley's mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00453.jpg
1920s or '30s. By this time carting had been contracted out by the LMS and here to Robertshaw Bros. A mixture of vehicles and registration plates; with the exception of the second from the right which is a Huddersfield number the rest are all…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00414.jpg
Bottom centre the passenger station and to its left the large railway warehouse and goods sidings. Above them can be seen Riverside School, originally Hebden Bridge Grammar School which opened 1909. At the top of Station Road by Princes Bridge is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00413.jpg
View across the railway station to the town. The passenger station, re-built 1891/2, wedged between Victoria Mill to its right and the large railway warehouse to the left and beyond it Crossley Mill. Bottom right the Crow Nest Works of the joint…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00228.jpg
To the left of the picture is the site of the Fairfield Estate which was built on Hebden Bridge Co-op land. The houses adjoining this land were built for the carters employed by the Co-op. On the right stands Victoria Mill which was occupied for many…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00209.jpg
View from Wood Top across the railway station to the town. The passenger station, re-built 1891/2, is wedged between, on the right Victoria Mill, occupied for many years by F. & H. Sutcliffe who manufactured portable wooden buildings, and on its left…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00223.jpg
LYRS 8453 - The Goods Yard looking north west from the westbound platform. Date unknown but the yard looks derelict and goods facilities were withdrawn in 1966. The warehouse was let for general storage but demolished following a serious fire in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00222.jpg
LYRS 8452 -Date unknown but following demolition of Victoria Mill in the later 1960s. General view of the Goods Warehouse, platforms, station buildings and canopies looking east. Only one of the former three taking-in door hoists on the warehouse is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00221.jpg
LYRS6051 - Goods facilities were withdrawn in 1966 and the goods yard closed and dismantled. The warehouse was let for general storage but was demolished in 1969 following a serious fire. The site is now the station car park. . The square wood clad…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00220.jpg
LYRS6050. The large double bay station warehouse in 1963 but with only one of the former three taking-in door hoists left. Goods facilities were withdrawn in 1966 and the warehouse let for general storage. It was demolished in 1969 following a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00219.jpg
LYRS 2718 - 1976. The mechanism of the unusual hydraulic lift down to the subway; used by porters to barrow parcels etc between the platforms. The mechanisms still there but the lift is no longer in use.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00218.jpg
LYRS 2717 - The unusual hydraulic lift on Platform 2 down to the subway used by porters to barrow parcels etc between the platforms. The lift is still there but no longer in use. The wooden wheelbarrow weighs 3 qr and 26 lb (totalling 82 lb) and…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00217.jpg
LYRS 6043 - Front & non-door end in 1963. The track in front of it ran to a buffer stop at the east end of the 'up' platform and has now been lifted. F&T Lumbs building behind has been demolished.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00216.jpg
LYRS 6049 -- general view of the 'Down' platform and buildings in 1963 with a collection of porters' barrows and the now gone platform clock. The goods lift enclosure is visible on platform behind the barrows.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00215.jpg
LYRS 4478 - General view of the 'up' platform, buildings and canopy in 1951 with westbound Stanier 4-6-0 Class No. 45421. The station warehouse to the left and Victoria Mill beyond were demolished in the late 1960s. The sleepers on the platform…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00214.jpg
LYRS 2713 - General view of 'Up' platform looking west in 1976. The line into the disused sidings has not been lifted. Although a b&w photo the signage does not appear to be in BR's North Eastern Regions colours of white on tangerine as in a 1973…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00213.jpg
LYRS 2709 - General view of 'Up' platform looking east in 1976. The semaphore signals gantry visible beyond the end of the platform. Although a b&w photo the signage does not appear to be in BR's North Eastern Regions colours of white on tangerine as…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00212.jpg
LYRS 2708 - General view of the 'Down' platform looking east in 1976. Although a b&w photo the signage does not appear to be in BR's North Eastern Regions colours of white on tangerine as in an earlier colour photo.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00211.jpg
LYRS 2705 - Station frontage and forecourt in BR days. Date unknown but a poster to the right on the end of the building advertises walks in the West Riding which dates it pre-1974. The upper floor looks to be still occupied as the Station masters…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2