Browse Items (266 total)

  • Tags: 1910s

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/THB00134.jpg
Shown in the 1912 Thornbers Catalogue

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00252.jpg
Postcard date stamped May 1916. Looking down the road from the canal bridge; over the river, past the Goods Yard and then over the railway and up to St Mary's Church. The church was built in 1873, closed in 1977 and its 126ft spire was demolished in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00242.jpg
Postcard with June 1910 postmark. This walled path leads to Robin Hood Rocks. The nearest building is Birks Hall, behind and slightly to the right is Glen House. On the right of the picture is Twist Clough and Beech Cottages.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00239.jpg
Postcard with handwritten note on the reverse: '1912 CRAGG VALE. Front Robert Blatchford,3rd front James Benson, rear 3rd from right Helen Benson.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00233.jpg
Postcard with 1917 postmark. This church, built in 1838 to replace a smaller church constructed in 1813, was paid for from the 'million pound fund'. An Act of Parliament allocated £1 million to build churches in the rapidly expanding industrial areas…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00232.jpg
Postcard with 1917 postmark. This church, built in 1838 to replace a smaller church constructed in 1813, was paid for from the 'million pound fund'. An Act of Parliament allocated £1 million to build churches in the rapidly expanding industrial areas…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00209.jpg
Undated postcard. The bridge was built to carry a tramway from Whitehill Nook, Heptonstall, to transport materials and navvies to the construction site of Walshaw Dean Reservoirs. The bridge was 700ft long and 105ft above the valley floor. The bridge…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00206.jpg
Postcard with August 1915 postmark. Along the bottom are the terraced houses on Calder Bank, now long demolished, and to their left the small two storey Hebble End Dyeworks later enlarged and now (2015) apartments

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00193.jpg
Mytholmroyd Co-op circa 1910. From left, Robert Boulton, Percy Horsfall, Fred Haigh, Fred Stansfield, Lewis Ackroyd and Bob Hartley. Inside the boy is Harry Greenwood and a man nicknamed "Luggage" so called because he once ran from Hollock Lea to the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00188.jpg
Postcard, with April 1910 postmark, caricaturing nightly chaos, presumably on a Saturday, when the last tram of the night left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00184.jpg
Postcard with September 1914 postmark. Looking down Cragg vale to Dauber Bridge and Mytholmroyd beyond. In the days of the turnpike Dauber Bridge house, seen here, was a toll house.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00181.jpg
Undated postcard showing the Church Institute Bowling Green 22 July 1911. Behind is St Michael's Church.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00158.jpg
Early 20th century postcard pre-1910, posted in Mytholmroyd. It was sent by a Mr & Mrs Hargreaves of 23 Hall Gate, Mytholmroyd. Is this them? Sending family postcards was quite common at the time.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00149.jpg
Postcard with August 1913 postmark. A long, westbound passenger train is passing Mytholmroyd station.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00147.jpg
Postcard with July 1916 postmark.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00111.jpg
Post card with 1917 postmark. The foundation stone for the church was laid in 1847 and the church was consecrated in 1848. The church was enlarged in 1887 and the following year the foundation stone was laid for a new chancel. Distinctively it has a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RAW00124.jpg
Road improvements, view before widening. Note the cobbled road with tram lines and power lines above. The Halifax Corporation trams reached Hebden Bridge in 191/2 and ceased in 1936.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RAW00123.jpg
Halifax Corporation tram in May 1911 just prior to the Hebden Urban District Council road widening improvements. Not much shelter from the elements for the driver. Commercial Street going off to the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/EIL00195.jpg
Admiral of the Fleet John Rushworth Jellicoe, 1st Earl Jellicoe, GCB OM GCVO SGM (5 December 1859 – 20 November 1935) was a Royal Navy officer. He fought in the Egyptian war and the Boxer Rebellion and commanded the Grand Fleet at the Battle of…

Tags: , ,

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RUD00132.jpg
The War Memorial at Smeakin Hill to the 33 men of Wadsworth who lost their lives in the war of 1914 – 1918 was unveiled on 23rd September 1923 by Major Robert H. Barker.
Roughly based on Stoodley Pike, it is an obelisk 41 feet high (Stoodley is 120…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC09026.jpg
Sewing shop decorated for the 1911 Coronation.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC08059.jpg
The feature on Gibson Mill and Hardcastle Crags in Issue 4 of Milltown Memories includes this photo of Crossley's Tea Rooms. The same photo appeared in Issue 76 (1st March - 6th April '04) of "Down Your Way - Yorkshire's Nostalgic Magazine". The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC08052.jpg
Coronation Arch 1911

Tags:

Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2