Browse Items (28 total)

  • Tags: Baptist Chapel

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00482.jpg
Birchcliffe Baptist Chapel, probably ready for its opening on 31st October 1899. It closed as a chapel in February 1974 and was bought by the Joseph Rowntree Social Services Trust. A floor was built across at balcony level to provide an upper storey.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00414.jpg
Bottom centre the passenger station and to its left the large railway warehouse and goods sidings. Above them can be seen Riverside School, originally Hebden Bridge Grammar School which opened 1909. At the top of Station Road by Princes Bridge is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00413.jpg
View across the railway station to the town. The passenger station, re-built 1891/2, wedged between Victoria Mill to its right and the large railway warehouse to the left and beyond it Crossley Mill. Bottom right the Crow Nest Works of the joint…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00407.jpg
ALC00407. General town view c.1900. The new Birchcliffe Baptist Chapel (1899) just visible on the righthand hillside above Stubbings School but Riverside School (1908/9) being built on the land above the houses in the foreground. The Council Offices…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00406.jpg
ALC00406. View of the town and its mills c.1895. Behind Hope Baptist Chapel the large Co-Op Bulding and clock tower completed 1889 but looking left from it the Council Offices (1896) not yet built. Just visible lower right are railway wagons in the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00405.jpg
View of the town centre c.1880 with Hope Baptist Chapel in the foreground. Centre left the large storeyed Foster Mill. Above the mill the chimneys of Lee Mill and Lower and upper Midgehole Mills. Climbing top centre right is Keighley Road

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00404.jpg
General view from Fairfield c.1880. In the centre is Pallis or Pallisser House; the pallisser was responsible for looking after the fence around the medieval deer park. The blur of white is smoke or steam from a train in the cutting. Centre right the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00403.jpg
ALC00403. General view from Fairfield c.1910. The three chimneys from left to right are Beehive Works, Breck Mill and Salem Mill. The houses front right fronting on to what is now Palace House Road. The path on the left leading up to Old Chamber.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00402.jpg
Mid-1880s. Hope Baptist Chapel overlooking open fields, behind it diagonally right is Nutclough Mill. Top left is Cross Lanes United Methodist Chapel.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00401.jpg
In the centre the almost complete 'new' and much larger Birchcliffe Baptist Chapel with Edward Street below in course of construction The large retaining walls supporting Keighley Road and Birchcliffe Road now in place.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00400.jpg
ALC00400. c.1890. In the foreground the Hangingroyd area and behind the steep cliff through which Keighley Road has been cut but not yet supported by the large retaining walls. To the left Hangingroyd Mill; in the centre Nutclough Mill and above it…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00399.jpg
c.1888. In the centre is Nutclough Mill before the extension to the left, and above 'old' Birchcliffe Chapel. Housing starting to be developed on the hillside; top right Cliffe Royd on Wadsworth Lane and right behind the north side of Blenheim…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00398.jpg
ALC00398. c. 1880. Looking across to Birchcliffe with Foster Mill and Foster Lane on the left. On the left hillside is the 'old' Birchcliffe Chapel and graveyard on Sandy Gate. Wadsworth Lane climbs the hill and to its right are the houses on Cliff…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00362.jpg
Looking at the bottom of the Buttress. Date unknown but the building on the right was part of Buttress Brink and demolished 1960s. Across on the hillside is Zion Baptist Chapel ,built 1881, and below that the buildings on Commercial Street and Garden…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00354.jpg
c1929. Hebden Bridge Agricultural Show. Hebden Bridge Urban District Council purchased Calder Holmes Park in 1931 to be an open space for the town. Here we have an uninterrupted view across to Riverside School prior to the building of the Little…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05118.jpg
HLS05118. John Fawcett from Bradford became minister to the Particular Baptists at Wainsgate in 1764. Whislt still minister there he moved to Brearley Hall and opened a college there for young men. Then in 1777 he opened Ebenezer Chapel down in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05058.jpg
Donkey cart on Albert Street crossing Hope Street; Hope Chapel to the right. Bank doorway behind (The plate is labelled "possibly with Dan Wilcock in 1920s" but the absence of tram cables visible on New Road would date it pre1901/2) Another caption…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2