Browse Items (450 total)

  • Tags: Bridge

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00179.jpg
The station on the 'Copy Pit Line' from Todmorden to Burnley opened in 1878 some 30 years after the line and the station closed in 1938.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00111.jpg
In the centre of this photograph is the Golden Lion Bridge carrying the Rochdale Road over the canal. These lock gates were later replaced in the 1920s with a guillotine, or vertically rising, gate.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00101.jpg
A west bound goods train approaching Walsden Station. The station opened in 1845 and closed in 1961.
A new station with ‘bus stop’ style shelters was opened in 1990 but slightly to the east of the footbridge seen here to the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/STW00143.jpg
Bathing pool and camp site, Wheat Ing Farm.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00259.jpg
SOYLAND MILL BRIDGE is at Dam Side over the Lumb Clough stream. It is a single-arch, undated, stone bridge. The following entries appear in the accounts for 1741 of John Normanton, the Sowerby Constable:¬
Paid Matthew Nickolson for Soyland Miln…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00258.jpg
SOWERBY BRIDGE was the subject of a paper by H. P. Kendall in the 1915 Transactions.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00257.jpg
In his will dated Feb 1st, 1533, John Waterhouse left twelve pence “to the amendying of Salterhebble.” W.B. Crump wrote that for the present this remains the earliest use of the dialect word “hebble”. In 1637 a fine of £40 was imposed on the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00256.jpg
ST. GEORGE'S BRIDGE, Hebden Bridge. was built in 1899, the cost being met by public subscription plus a grant from the West Riding County Council. The bridge had a very steep gradient, and before it was altered a chain horse was needed by loaded…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00255.jpg
RIPPONDEN OLD BRIDGE was written about by a former President of the Halifax Antiquairans, the late J. H. Priestley, and his paper appeared in the 1935 Transactions.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00254.jpg
RASTRICK BRIDGE, Brighouse, The Borough of Brighouse derives its name from this ancient bridge. An ancient house or houses stood near the bridge over the Calder between Brighouse and Rastrick. hence the name Brighouse, or Bridge-house, and for a time…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00253.jpg
This bridge runs parallel to Clifton Bridge and carries King Street over the Clifton Beck. On a stone tablet on the parapet is inscribed "W.R.C.C PHOENIX BRIDGE."

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00252.jpg
PARIS GATE BRIDGE. That there was a bridge at Paris Gate over the Hebble is evidenced by the West Riding Quarter Sessions Records. At Pontefract in April, 1794, the surveyor of Skircoat and Southowram having submitted to an indictment a gratuity of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00251.jpg
OXYGRAINS BRIDGE, Rishworth, is a single-arch stone pack¬horse bridge without any Parapet, and is a Scheduled Ancient Monument. Watson wrote that the Ryburn stream "receives a considerable rivulet at the Ox-grains bridge, in the same township…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2