Browse Items (63 total)

  • Tags: Buttress

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00205.jpg
In the centre Lees Yard Car Park originally the site of the White Horse Hotel, which was demolished 1962. More or less in the centre the Town Hall with Bridge Mill and chimney to its right and to the left of the Town Hall the Hole-in-the-Wall and…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00204.jpg
Far right part of The -hole-in-the-Wall pub, the building in the centre on Hangingroyd Lane has long gone.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00193.jpg
View over the town from the Buttress with Buttress Brink tenements on the right, demolished 1967/8.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00183.jpg
Looking across from the Buttress to Nutclough Mill and chimney.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00176.jpg
The tenements at the bottom of the Buttress were demolished in the mid-1960s as unfit for human habitation. The view here if of one of the maze of landings in the block accessed by external steps and alleys.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00175.jpg
The tenements at the bottom of the Buttress were demolished in the mid-1960s as unfit for human habitation. Seen here probably after they had been evacuated for demolition looking up the Buttress from Old Bridge. Royd Terrace in the centre and the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00174.jpg
The tenements at the bottom of the Buttress were demolished in the mid-1960s as unfit for human habitation. Seen here probably not long before demolition from Hangingroyd Lane looking up the Buttress with Royd Terrace on the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00109.jpg
Taken from the Old Bridge looking up to the Buttress with Royd Terrace on the right. The tenements at the bottom of the Buttress were demolished in the mid 1960s as unfit for human habitation.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00104.jpg
Taken just before Buttress Brink on the left was demolished. The building far right is now the site of the Hebden Bridge Health Centre, used by Social Services, not to be confused with Valley Medical Centre on Valley Road. The medical centre did move…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RAW00131.jpg
The gentleman standing in the archway is Hebden Royd UDC Surveyor, Mr Moyse. The tenements on Old Gate at the bottom of the Buttress were demolished in 1967 as being unfit for human habitation.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00381.jpg
Looking down from Buttress Brink. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00379.jpg
The Hole in the Wall is on the right, and Cross Lanes Methodist Chapel can be seen towards the top of the picture. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00377.jpg
On the left cobbles on The Buttress. The building on the right has been demolished. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00373.jpg
Originally part of the ancient highway from Halifax to Heptonstall. The buildings on the left are part of Buttress Brink which was demolished in the 1960s. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00372.jpg
Originally part of the ancient highway from Halifax to Heptonstall. The buildings on the left are part of Buttress Brink which was demolished in the 1960s. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00371.jpg
At the bottom of the buttress, opposite the Hole-in-the-Wall pub, Buttress Brink was a warren of dwellings demolished in the 1960s. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00370.jpg
Originally part of the ancient highway from Halifax to Heptonstall. The buildings on the right are part of Buttress Brink which was demolished in the 1960s. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00368.jpg
Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00367.jpg
The chapel at the top of the Buttress opened in 1840 and closed due to declining attendance in 1958 and was then destroyed by fire in the mid 1960s. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00366.jpg
The chapel at the top of the Buttress opened in 1840 and closed due to declining attendance in 1958 and was then destroyed by fire in the mid 1960s. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00104.jpg
The bottom of the old route up to Heptonstall. The Hole in the Wall is on the left, and on the far side of the Old Bridge is the White Swan. The road to the right is old Gate. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00102.jpg
Buildings of Buttress Brink which were demolished in the 1960s on the right. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00101.jpg
Hebden Bridge in the 1950s, with Buttress Brink on the left, Royd Terrace in the centre, Hole in the Wall on the right and Cross Lanes Chapel on the hill. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2