Looking over to the Birchcliffe hillside with the distinctive arches of Stubbings School in the centre. To the left of the school is St John's C of E Church consecrated in 1931 but closed in the 1980s.
Also known as Co-op Buildings, the photo is taken from Albert Street. the White Horse Inn can be seen to the right of Carlton Buildings. The building just visible on Crown Street was a foundry, it later became Sowden's blacksmith shop.