Browse Items (37 total)

  • Tags: Cars

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/AGW00233.jpg
Stubbings Steps from School Street down to Commercial Street in the 1950s. The building at the bottom was originally the toll bar house on the Leeds and Hebden Bridge Turnpike Road.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TNC00497.jpg
Work on the area adjacent to the market. Longfield Road visible at top right of the shot.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TNC00495.jpg
Work being done on the creation of the car park. The market hall with its half moon windows at the top pf the shot.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00277.jpg
Looking up the road to the junction with Moss Lane and and one of the buildings of Hangingroyd Mill in a derelict condition, today site of Waterside Fold. Centre right Market Place and probably not too long landscaped. The second car on the left has…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00251.jpg
The vehicles in the foreground are on the yard of the derelict Hangingroyd Mill. The yard is now largely site of Waterside Fold. The vehicles across the road are in the yard of Hebden Shed or Works with Nutclough Mill above and above that double…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00249.jpg
Site of part of Hangingroyd Mill at the top of Valley Road with the mill yard to the left. The site now occupied by Waterside Fold.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00248.jpg
The vehicles in the foreground are on the yard of the derelict Hangingroyd Mill and the mill building on the left is straddling the river. The yard is now largely site of Waterside Fold. The vehicles across the road are in the yard of Hebden Shed or…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00466.jpg
c.1960. The station platforms not only straddled the viaduct but also overhung it supported by massive brackets seen here looking towards Burnley Road. Both vehicles have Halifax registration plates.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00419.jpg
ALC00419. Late 1950s/early 1960s. The cafe is Waterloo House. The white car is a Ford Zephyr Mkll or Zodiac Mkll which were produced 1956-1962.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00369.jpg
Stubbings Steps from School Street down to Commercial Street in the 1950s. The building at the bottom was originally the toll bar house on the Lees and Hebden Bridge Turnpike Road.

Recalling the days of moody black and white films such as “Room…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00368.jpg
The White Horse Hotel was an inn at least since 1851, it closed 1960, and on the Monday afternoon of 26th November, 1962, demolition workers were sending the walls of the White Horse Hotel crashing to the ground. A few hours later, across the street…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00367.jpg
ALC00367.Top of Albert Street at its junction with Garden Street.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00366.jpg
St Georges Square looking across to the Shoulder of Mutton and behind can be seen partially demolished buildings on Buttress Brink.. The car in the foreground has a 1968/9 'G' registration number. Note the water tank on the top of the building on the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00365.jpg
Looking across the White Lion yard to Birchcliife. Behind the houses centre left is the roof of St John's Church which was consecrated in 1931 and made redundant in 1984 and converted into dwellings. To its right is Stubbings School opened 1878.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00364.jpg
From the Square looking up to Keighley Road; on the left Bridge Mill, used by Chorlton Bros., Wholesale Clothiers, and beyond that the White Lion and opposite it the junction of Bridge Gate with Commercial Street before it was re-aligned 1964/65 to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00363.jpg
Hangingroyd Lane about 1962; on the right Market Place before landscaping.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00354.jpg
c1929. Hebden Bridge Agricultural Show. Hebden Bridge Urban District Council purchased Calder Holmes Park in 1931 to be an open space for the town. Here we have an uninterrupted view across to Riverside School prior to the building of the Little…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00350.jpg
ALC00350. Looking towards West End. Timothy Whites was taken over by Boots in 1968 and most stores closed and in 1976 the one seen here became the Tourist Information Centre and is now AJs Fish & Chips. Next to it is the Yorkshire Bank, now…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00344.jpg
Bankfoot Garage, with a single petrol pump, looking up towards buildings on Heptonstall Road. The left-hand drive car by the garage has a post-1921 Leeds registration number.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00343.jpg
ALC00343. Left-hand drive car at the bottom of Bankfoot looking up to Bridge Lanes.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00342.jpg
Looking down towards Bankfoot with well spaced gas lamps. Bankfoot House on the left and Bankfoot Dyeworks centre right. The days before 'smoke free zones' with smoke coming from the chimneys of several houses on the hillside. The car, perhaps being…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00341.jpg
Looking up Heptonstall Road with Bridge Lanes going down to the right before demolition in 1964. The 'Fox & Goose' far left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00339.jpg
Looking from West End and Market Street is still the town's main shopping street. Shops on the left: unnamed selling fire surrounds; J E Greaves, Baker & Confectioner, with his van outside; J Robertshaw, Newsagent & Stationer; C L Shaw followed by…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2