Browse Items (7 total)

  • Tags: Chandelier

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS06033.jpg
Slide 4 - The entrance to the Hall on the south side is by a long narrow porch, which opens into a long passage (as was the case in all medieval mansions) through the entire width of the house. On the left of this passage is the most interesting…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05744.jpg
Slide 13 - The Ballroom in the North West wing of the House is another fine apartment. The furniture, as will be noticed, is of a costly character.

Note the light and elegantly designed lamp hung from the centre of the ceiling. The chimney piece of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05743.jpg
Slide 12 - From the ceiling are suspended three separate lamps of elaborate design, formerly used for candles, but now they are fitted up like other parts of the House with electric lights.

It would take up too much of our time to further describe…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05742.jpg
Slide 11 - The Library, or what is now termed the Long Gallery, is entered from the grand staircase by folding doors. It is a fine apartment extending nearly the whole length of the west front. There are three window recesses of ample size, and these…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05740.jpg
Slide 9 - The house was much altered in the eighteenth century, first by Cuthbert Constable (1719 - 1747) who altered the east front and to whom the long Gallery and the Library in its present condition seems to be due.

The Grand Staircase, or…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05739.jpg
Slide 8 - A door out of the Saloon leads into the dining room. This is carried out in the Ionic Style throughout .

Over the Chimney piece, which is of white statuary marble, is a sculptured representation of a mythological subject. From the ceiling…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS00301.jpg
Bend near Brearley Hall looking towards Luddendenfoot, on the Leeds-Halifax-Luddendenfoot A646 Trunk Road, before improvement. Hebden Royd U.D. 1950-51 Estimates. Top righthandside the 126ft spire of St Mary's Luddendenfoot which closed in 1977 and…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2