Browse Items (753 total)

  • Tags: Churches and Chapels

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06363.jpg
THE SALEM SUNBEAMS
SALEM METHODIST CHURCH'S ANNUAL PANTOMIME
"DICK WHITTINGTON"
Directed by Mr Lloyd Greenwood
1956

Milltown Memories readers GILLIAN STANSFIELD and LINDA ELLIS are among those pictured and help recall this occasion of the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06361.jpg
HEPTONSTALL
According to an old deed, in the early part of the 17th century there was a Cloth Hall, the property of John Sunderland , of Horshold.
But the glory of Heptonstall is the old church, or rather it is sad to write, the ruins of the old…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06349.jpg
The New Church was built in 1854. It contains a fine Italian painting of the "Last Supper".

The Old Church was originally built in the 13th century, but was rebuilt in the 14th and 15th centuries. The two churches are extremely unusual in that…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06340.jpg
In 1813 they laid the foundation stone of a small church at Marshaw Bridge. The building was completed 1815. There was accommodation for 250, but it soon became inadequate and was in a state of disrepair.
1838 New church commenced.
1839 Church of St.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06329.jpg
The original Salem Chapel, built 1885, replaced an earlier chapel built 1824 which only had seating for 750 with a schoolroom underneath. The new chapel had seating 1050. Falling membership after the Second World War meant eventual amalgamation with…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06324.jpg
As the tourist will plainly perceive a new church has been built, at a cost of £6666, and was consecrated October 26, 1854. But we cannot refrain from stating that the architect lamentably erred in planning the church in that particular style of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06002.jpg
The church became redundant in 1984 and was converted into private dwellings.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06001.jpg
The foundation stone for this church was laid on 26th June 1929. The church opened on 6th May 1931. Those who gave money for the building included Mary Sowden.

The church became redundant in 1984 and is now private dwellings.

The pulpit and…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2