Browse Items (23 total)

  • Tags: Clock tower

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CRN00291.jpg
The gable end of the Endowed School can be seen behind the building works for the new garden. Todmorden Town Hall is on the left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06076.jpg
Halifax Town Hall was designed by famed architect Charles Barry (who also designed the Houses of Parliament) although he died before the building was finished, the work being completed by his son. It was opened in 1863 by the then Prince of Wales,…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06075.jpg
The school was originally founded in 1857 as an orphanage. It became a school in 1887. In 1919 it admitted day pupils for the first time. The current school is known as Crossley Heath, this is because it merged with the former Heath Grammar school…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00245.jpg
The church opened Good Friday 1859 with the lower part used as a school for mill workers. The church has closed and the building converted into dwellings.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RAW00145.jpg
On the left is the wall of the Hole in the Wall pub, over the bridge is Bridge Gate. In the centre is the Co-op building but this view cannot be seen today as as a new building has been constructed in the gap on Crown Street.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RAW00129.jpg
A warren of tenements Buttress Brink was declared unfit for human habitation and demolished in 1967.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00511.jpg
The canopy which stood over the public clock at Waterside since 1836 was taken down in March 1982.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00378.jpg
This part of Waterside Mill was handed over to the town to provide technical education in local trades and industries This building was superseded by Calder College in 1955.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00179.jpg
The three cottages in the centre of the picture were the homes and workplaces of the entrepreneurial Fielden family who moved there from Edge End in 1782. The various stages of expansion can be seen in the five-storey building which was a spinning…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05070.jpg
Looking across St Georges Bridge, built 1893, to the Square and the large Co-op building with its clock tower. The building on the right on Blackwater Street was demolished to make way for the Council Offices which were built in 1897.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS01342.jpg
The sketch and description are from The Calderdale Sketch Book by J. L. Berbiers, published in 1973 by The Halifax Courier Ltd.

The tower of St Andrews, the parish church of Stainland, can be seen for miles around. Worship in the village has a…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2