The Rochdale Canal is lined with mills including Calder Mill with its tall chimney on the left. The chimney remains but the storeyed mill was destroyed by fire in 1964. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive
This was just one of several refreshment facilities at the Crags catering for the vast numbers of visitors who came from the mill towns on both sides of the Pennines. A little below it is Gibson Mill 'entertainment emporium'.
The school which opened in 1875 as a Board School was opposite the railway station, seen here above the school. To the left of the station is Cockden Mill. The school closed in 1946 and was subsequently demolished.