Browse Items (46 total)

  • Tags: Cottages

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00153.jpg
Can you identify?

Tags:

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TNC00439.jpg
In the early 1900s this was an isolation hospital.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00242.jpg
Postcard with June 1910 postmark. This walled path leads to Robin Hood Rocks. The nearest building is Birks Hall, behind and slightly to the right is Glen House. On the right of the picture is Twist Clough and Beech Cottages.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00227.jpg
Looking down Cragg Road towards Mytholmroyd. The Methodist Chapel, now a private house, is on the left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00224.jpg
Postcard with July 1959 postmark. Looking down Cragg Road towards Mytholmroyd. The Methodist Chapel, now a private house, is on the left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00188.jpg
Hamer Cottages at the junction of Badger Land and Old Shaw Lane. The date above the window on the right-hand cottage is 1770. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/EIL00109.jpg
The procession is going up Smith Well Lane. The banner indicates the Wesleyan Sunday School at Heptonstall. Notice the Union Jack flags from several houses and the decorated arch at the top of Towngate in the distance. Postcard.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/EIL00101.jpg
Towards the end of the 19th century this housed a number of Wood Cutters working on the Savile Estate. Postcard.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05079.jpg
Originally called Underbank Dyeworks it was used for dying silk, having two dye sheds. The remains of the mill dam which was fed by a goit from Jumble Hole Clough, can still be seen above the mill. nearby is Underbank Hall

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00279.jpg
LYRS 3825 - c.1890. On the carriage drive to Dobroyd Castle. "The level crossing at Dobroyd was controlled from this quaint, doll's house-style structure, first erected in 1872, and replaced in 1901. The job of crossing keeper was an occupational…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JSB00165.jpg
Can anyone locate? The date on the back of the photo is September 1970.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JSB00138.jpg
The bridge over Hebden Water at Midgehole.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/JSB00105.jpg
Row of derelict cottages in Hardcastle Crags, Hebden Bridge; does anyone know what happened to them?

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS06026.jpg
Slide 18 - Another photograph shows where 'Upon a promontory small, the water mill juts out' which bears on one of the gables the Arms of the Copley's dates 1653, and on the keystone of the doorway is the date 1748. Opposite the mill on the rivers…

Tags: ,

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS06025.jpg
Slide 17 - On one side of the village green is the Boat Farm, formerly the Boat Inn shown in the photograph on the right. The Copley coat of arms appears over the doorway. A tradition lingers about Sprotbrough that Sir Walter Scott and a friend spent…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05971.jpg
Slide 2 - The road descends steeply to the village. The quaint looking houses are perched on the high grassy banks on either side, and before us at the foot of the descent is the Rye with its wooded foot bridge and far-off line of hills

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05970.jpg
Slide 1 - Nunnington, I was once told by a native of an adjoining Ryedale village, was not worth going to see, there being nothing in, or about the place of any interest what so ever. In corroboration of this statement, the writer of 'Murray's…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05913.jpg
Slide 7 - The village of Howsham consists of one long street, with houses on one side only, the other side being bounded by Howsham Park. In this village stands the house (shown in the picture) in which George Hudson the 'Railway King' was born.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05137.jpg
HLS05137. Heptonstall people relied on four pumps for their water supply. The pumps were locked on a Saturday night until Monday and residents put their cans or buckets out ready to fill when the water came back on.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05087.jpg
HLS05087. Mill goit farm and cottages at Eaves Bottom in Colden Clough. The Eaves Mills, Upper and Lower, had been silk mills but ceased trading early 20th century and were taken over by a workers co-operative for weaving but the venture failed and…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2