Browse Items (68 total)

  • Tags: Gas Lamp

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00180.jpg
Previously based at Millwood, the congregation moved to Roomfield in 1877, nearer to Todmorden Centre. The Chapel was demolished in 1953 due to dry rot and similarly the schoolroom in 1959. A new small Chapel opened at Roomfield in 1962.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00173.jpg
The Hall stands near the Town Hall with the market behind it, and appears to have been decked for some celebration.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00136.jpg
Burnley Road opposite Centre Vale Park, the park entrance can be seen on far left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00126.jpg
The town centre road junctions with the magnificent Town Hall on the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06078.jpg
All the buildings in this view (with the probable exception of the one visible in the gap between the buildings) have been demolished. As the name suggests, Gaol Lane was the location of the Halifax Debtor's Prison between 1662 and 1868.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00275.jpg
East Parade, Mytholmroyd

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00368.jpg
Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06358.jpg
The farmhouse was originally on the other side of the road, but it was in the way of the railway so it was demolished and this 'compensation' house was built. Above one of the windows is the word 'Dairy'. Latterly the house was used by the Manager of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05151.jpg
North Street, Todmorden, around 1920 before properties including the tall building near the viaduct – housing a sweet shop, butcher’s, pie and pea café and a hairdressers – and the Black Swan, left, disappeared under a road widening scheme in the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00699.jpg
The building on the corner of Market Street and Old Gate, pictured here as Jackson Merchant Taylor, ended its days as 'Nicky's Cafe'. In 1910 the street was gas light. Beyond is Bridge Gate Mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00626.jpg
Situated in Unity Street, Hebden Bridge, the Tin Tabernacle was built as a Wesleyan Mission and opened in May 1887 for services which had previously been held at a house in Foster Lane. The mission was superseded by the splendid Foster Lane Chapel,…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00428.jpg
Looking from the top of Halifax Road towards the market place and the railway viaduct over Burnley Road. On the right the Town Hall and on the left is the Yorkshire Penny Bank.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00130.jpg
Bankfoot Garage, with a single petrol pump, looking up towards buildings on Heptonstall Road. The left-hand drive car by the garage has a post-1921 Leeds registration number.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00127.jpg
The Cross Lanes Society was formed from two Methodist groups from Hebden Bridge and Heptonstall. They decided to join together and build a new chapel at a half way site. The land cost £289 4s 0d in 1838?. Plans by Mr John Nicholson were accepted. …

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00190.jpg
LYRS60 The site is now mixed use but the stone gate pillars remain but not in their original position and a distance apart. Note the Victorian postbox in the wall.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00305.jpg
LYRS 2724 - The Spen Valley Line connecting Mirfield on the Calder Valley Main Line with Low Moor opened in July 1848 and the line between Low Moor and Bradford opened in May 1850. The 1848 station seen here looking towards Mirfield was replaced by…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00303.jpg
LYRS2682. The first station at Elland on the Manchester & Leeds Railway opened in March 1841 close to the tunnel east portal but was replaced in 1865 by the one seen here. A third island platform station was built in 1894. The station and goods yard…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00297.jpg
TMP 0226 - Although the Manchester & Leeds Railway opened throughout in 1841 a station wasn't built at Smithy Bridge until 1868. The station was closed in 1960 and the buildings and platforms demolished but a new station was opened in 1985 but with a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/LYR00294.jpg
LYRS 6689 - From the 'Down' platform looking across to the 'up' platform. The signal box and the platform buildings seen here have been demolished. Passenger facilities are reduced to not very satisfactory shelters given the exposed position of the…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2