Browse Items (22 total)

  • Tags: Gasometer

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00171.jpg
View over the town from the north hillside. Scout Rocks are on the left, with Scout Road School below.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00155.jpg
View over the Baltimore area of Todmorden on the east side of the town, with Cross Stone Church just visible on the skyline.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00123.jpg
Looking down the Calder Valley with the Rochdale Canal in the foreground. On the far hillside stands Cross Stone Church.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC00845.jpg
BRIGHOUSE CALDER & HEBBLE NAVIGATION SE 1422 NE (north side) 6/41 Old Lock House fronting Brighouse Lower Lock

G.V. II

Lock-keepers house. Early C19. Hammer-dressed stone, stone slate roof. 2- storey house of 2 bays has single storey octagonal…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC00844.jpg
BRIGHOUSE CALDER & HEBBLE NAVIGATION SE 1422 NE (north side) 6/41 Old Lock House fronting Brighouse Lower Lock

G.V. II

Lock-keepers house. Early C19. Hammer-dressed stone, stone slate roof. 2- storey house of 2 bays has single storey octagonal…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC00842.jpg
BRIGHOUSE CALDER & HEBBLE NAVIGATION SE 1422 NE (north side) 6/41 Old Lock House fronting Brighouse Lower Lock

G.V. II

Lock-keepers house. Early C19. Hammer-dressed stone, stone slate roof. 2- storey house of 2 bays has single storey octagonal…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TAS00125.jpg
Buses lined up beside the gas holder at Millwood. The buses are seen travelling uphill towards the main road from the early bus garage which was the former elecricity destructor building. The bus on the left was rebodied as a single deck following an…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEF00199.jpg
Date unknown but after 1969 when the station warehouse was demolished following fire damage.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00354.jpg
The bridge carrying Station Road over the River Calder. Above the bridge is part of the former gas holder on Station Road. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC01116.jpg
Unveiling the War Memorial at Mytholmroyd, 2nd July 1922. A brass band in attendance. Red Acre gas works can be seen on left. The inscription says: 75 men lost in the Great War. 75 tragic homes. 75 young women without a husband.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00448.jpg
The fleet of five buses of the Todmorden Motor Bus Committee and crews photographed on the lane leading to the electricity destructor, where the buses where garaged.

An Act of Parliament in 1906 allowed the Corporation to provide a bus service for…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00440.jpg
The Todmorden Gas Company, an independent enterprise, was formed around 1848. In 1887 the Local Board were in favour of purchasing the gas company, but the asking price £69,569, was too high and it was not until 1893, when the Gas Purchases Act was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00435.jpg
The gasworks area, looking towards Woodhouse, in the late 19th Century

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00175.jpg
Woodhouse Mill, built in 1832, was sited directly alongside the Rochdale Canal to take advantage of the transport facilities and process water. The small engine house can be seen on the left of the mill. The chimney was detached from the mill in…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HBC00659.jpg
Nutclough Mill is near the centre of the picture, with the old Birchcliffe Chapel to the right of centre higher up.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DEP00339.jpg
Across the photo below the church is the rear of the 'up' platform at the station, which is the buildings on stilts. The structure sloping down to the left of the platform building carried a footway under the railway to the second floor Booking…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/DTA00101.jpg
1950s. The large station warehouse was built in two stages between 1877 and 1884/5. When goods facilities were withdrawn in 1966 it was let for general warehousing but was demolished following serious fire damage in 1969. During the 1960s houses were…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2