Browse Items (299 total)

  • Tags: Halifax

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00252.jpg
PARIS GATE BRIDGE. That there was a bridge at Paris Gate over the Hebble is evidenced by the West Riding Quarter Sessions Records. At Pontefract in April, 1794, the surveyor of Skircoat and Southowram having submitted to an indictment a gratuity of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00249.jpg
NORTH BRIDGE is of cast iron and has two spans each one hundred and sixty feet long. It replaced a stone bridge having six arches which was opened in 1771 which had replaced a wooden pre-decessor. The foundation stone of the present bridge was laid…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00243.jpg
MYTHOLME BRIDGE takes Lister Road over the Red Beck in the Shibden Valley. It has one stone arch and an inscription on the north side of the bridge records "This Bridge was Built and the Diversion of the Road made in the year 1809." In the West…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00221.jpg
GODLEY BROOK BRIDGE spanned the Red Beck at Stump Cross and part of it still exists in the bridge or culvert under which the brook flows. The following resolution appertains to this bridge. "At a vestry meeting of the in¬habitants of the township of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00220.jpg
GODLEY BRIDGE dates from 1900, the designer being E.R.S. Escott, Borough Engineer of that time. The iron skew bridge was opened on January 27th, 1900, replacing a narrow stone bridge which had probably been erected at the time Godley Cutting was made…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00210.jpg
CLARK BRIDGE crosses the Hebble Brook below Halifax Parish Church. Watson wrote in 1775 that this bridge ‘seems to have been first built by the clergy, or clerks, for the convenience of passing from the church, either to their habitations, or some…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00155.jpg
Railway bridge, Clark Bridge, Halifax

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00143.jpg
Railway bridge over the River Calder at North Dean

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00126.jpg
Railway Bridge over Wakefield Road at Copley - Salterhebble, Nr Halifax.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00120.jpg
On the branch from Greetland on the Calder Valley Main Line upto Holywell Green and Stainland. The line closed to passenger traffic in the 1920s and to goods in 1958.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00119.jpg
On the branch from Greetland on the Calder Valley Main Line upto Holywell Green and Stainland. The line closed to passenger traffic in the 1920s and to goods in 1958.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00118.jpg
On the branch from Greetland on the Calder Valley Main Line upto Holywell Green and Stainland. The line closed to passenger traffic in the 1920s and to goods in 1958.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06059.jpg
The roundabout on the top right is Bull Green, and People's Park towards bottom left. Ref 415430

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06058.jpg
Ref 086251 Brunswick House was originally built as a church but was converted for industrial use when that closed in the 1930s. It has since been demolished and the area used for social housing.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06057.jpg
This building was originally built in 1895 for the Halifax and Huddersfield Union Banking Company Ltd (aka The Union Bank). After merging with the Halifax Joint Stock Bank in 1910 it was amalgamated with Lloyds in 1919.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06056.jpg
This building was originally built in 1895 for the Halifax and Huddersfield Union Banking Company Ltd (aka The Union Bank). After merging with the Halifax Joint Stock Bank in 1910 it was amalgamated with Lloyds in 1919.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06055.jpg
This building was originally built in 1895 for the Halifax and Huddersfield Union Banking Company Ltd (aka The Union Bank). After merging with the Halifax Joint Stock Bank in 1910 it was amalgamated with Lloyds in 1919.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06049.jpg
Bankfield was previously the home of noted industrialist Edward Akroyd.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2