Browse Items (46 total)

  • Tags: Hope Baptist Chapel

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/KEC00420.jpg
Walking across Hope Street from Albert Street with Hope Baptist Chapel on the right. Part of the Hebden Bridge Local History Society Archive

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/EIL00155.jpg
Scenes from the Bible, organised by Mothers of Salem, the ladies of the church. Information provided by Helen Ranton, nee Waterworth, who is the little girl in the centre of the front row. Also included are Doris Horner, Philip and Gwen Shackleton,…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05857.jpg
A wonderfully evocative picture of a time when road works only needed a Keep Right sign. Hope Baptist Church is on the left and the Picture House to the right. The bridge over the road between the two parts of Crossley Mill can be seen.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC04494.jpg
Date unknown. The Church had opened in 1858 on New Road and is still open for worship.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00414.jpg
Bottom centre the passenger station and to its left the large railway warehouse and goods sidings. Above them can be seen Riverside School, originally Hebden Bridge Grammar School which opened 1909. At the top of Station Road by Princes Bridge is…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00413.jpg
View across the railway station to the town. The passenger station, re-built 1891/2, wedged between Victoria Mill to its right and the large railway warehouse to the left and beyond it Crossley Mill. Bottom right the Crow Nest Works of the joint…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00407.jpg
ALC00407. General town view c.1900. The new Birchcliffe Baptist Chapel (1899) just visible on the righthand hillside above Stubbings School but Riverside School (1908/9) being built on the land above the houses in the foreground. The Council Offices…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00406.jpg
ALC00406. View of the town and its mills c.1895. Behind Hope Baptist Chapel the large Co-Op Bulding and clock tower completed 1889 but looking left from it the Council Offices (1896) not yet built. Just visible lower right are railway wagons in the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00405.jpg
View of the town centre c.1880 with Hope Baptist Chapel in the foreground. Centre left the large storeyed Foster Mill. Above the mill the chimneys of Lee Mill and Lower and upper Midgehole Mills. Climbing top centre right is Keighley Road

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00404.jpg
General view from Fairfield c.1880. In the centre is Pallis or Pallisser House; the pallisser was responsible for looking after the fence around the medieval deer park. The blur of white is smoke or steam from a train in the cutting. Centre right the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00403.jpg
ALC00403. General view from Fairfield c.1910. The three chimneys from left to right are Beehive Works, Breck Mill and Salem Mill. The houses front right fronting on to what is now Palace House Road. The path on the left leading up to Old Chamber.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00402.jpg
Mid-1880s. Hope Baptist Chapel overlooking open fields, behind it diagonally right is Nutclough Mill. Top left is Cross Lanes United Methodist Chapel.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00396.jpg
Pre-1960. Looking from above Palace House Road over to Heptonstall Road and Cross Lanes Chapel on the hillside, demolished in the mid-1960s. Bottom right corner the top of Hope Baptist just visible.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00354.jpg
c1929. Hebden Bridge Agricultural Show. Hebden Bridge Urban District Council purchased Calder Holmes Park in 1931 to be an open space for the town. Here we have an uninterrupted view across to Riverside School prior to the building of the Little…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00140.jpg
The Catholic Church at Fairfield. St. Thomas of Canterbury was opened on 31st October 1896. The converted premises in Union Street became too small so land was purchased at Fairfield. Members of the congregation helped with its construction as there…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05058.jpg
Donkey cart on Albert Street crossing Hope Street; Hope Chapel to the right. Bank doorway behind (The plate is labelled "possibly with Dan Wilcock in 1920s" but the absence of tram cables visible on New Road would date it pre1901/2) Another caption…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05035.jpg
Date unknown but seemingly prior to the building of the Council offices in 1897/8 but after the enlargement of the impressive Co-op building with its clock tower in 1889, seen here behind Hope Baptist Chapel.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05034.jpg
View across the town late 19th or early 20th century prior to the building of Riverside School in 1908. Bottom right is Central School following enlargement in 1895. Looking up the river beyond the second bridge the Council Offices built in 1897/8.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05032.jpg
General view across to the Stubbings hillside. Centre left the Board School which opened in 1878 and along from it the partially constructed Zion Particular Baptist Chapel which was constructed in 1881 and opened for worship in 1882.

Centre right…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05028.jpg
This photograph was taken in the closing years of the 19th century or the beginning of the 20th. The Rochdale Canal running from the bottom to the top right makes a useful guide to the town as it was then. The road over the narrow bridge at the…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2