Browse Items (31 total)

  • Tags: Horse & Cart

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CVH00184.jpg
Alan Sutcliffe of 6 Upper Castle working on his land. you can see the Wesleyan Chapel and what was then the Post Office. Donated by Yvonne Broadbent.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00136.jpg
Burnley Road opposite Centre Vale Park, the park entrance can be seen on far left.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WAO00146.jpg
Mytholmroyd Primitive Methodist Sunday School Float with Miss Zilla Robertshaw as Britannia and H. Gaukroger and Annie Redman.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RAW00125.jpg
Congestion at the junction with Commercial Street after road widening. Note the open topped Halifax Corporation tram.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RAW00123.jpg
Halifax Corporation tram in May 1911 just prior to the Hebden Urban District Council road widening improvements. Not much shelter from the elements for the driver. Commercial Street going off to the right.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/EIL00106.jpg
This shows a full hay cart being led into the barn. These barns often had a matching door on the other side so that the horse and cart could pass straight through after unloading.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/EIL00104.jpg
Children with horse & cart, including evacuees to help with hay making. This is near Slack Bottom and was farmed by Longbottom's. Eileen Longbottom is one of the smaller children inside the cart. Some of the other children were evacuees brought to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC08079.jpg
Also known as Co-op Buildings, the photo is taken from Albert Street. the White Horse Inn can be seen to the right of Carlton Buildings. The building just visible on Crown Street was a foundry, it later became Sowden's blacksmith shop.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06352.jpg
The double-fronted shop in the centre was a grocer's shop run for many years by Nancy Swain.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC06327.jpg
The shop on the right was both a grocers and a drapers, run by Arnold Sunderland, Auntie Parker, Edith and Emma (Anna).

The boy is Charles Taylor.

In the centre (driving horse and cart?) is Arnold Sunderland, Gerald Sunderland's uncle.

The photo…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05153.jpg
Looking towards Hebden Bridge, the Hippodrome is on left

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC05149.jpg
The town is looking very elegant. St Mary's church is left of centre, with Cross Stone church on the skyline.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC01118.jpg
Photo taken at the junction of New Road and Commercial Street. Believed to be a visit by Winston Churchill to Hebden Bridge, probably in the early 1940s.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00699.jpg
The building on the corner of Market Street and Old Gate, pictured here as Jackson Merchant Taylor, ended its days as 'Nicky's Cafe'. In 1910 the street was gas light. Beyond is Bridge Gate Mill.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00336.jpg
Market Street looking towards West End in the 19th century. The building at the far end is Jackson Merchant Tailors. The horse drawn vehicle on the left is a two seater carriage but that on the right too indistinct. The shop bottom left is Joe Jagger…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00330.jpg
Horse and cart crossing West End Bridge in to Market Street. Jackson Merchant Tailor's at the junction with Old Gate looking down Market Street. Building now demolished.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/ALC00106.jpg
William Barker, credited as the first local manufacturer of ready-made clothing, built most of Market Street. This view, taken around 1910, shows Lello's Dining Rooms with the Post Office next door.

The Post Office in Hebden Bridge occupied many…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00233.jpg
Stuttard's Wagon 1906 - This wagon carrying cotton goods is photographed at the corner of Blind Lane where it joins Victoria Road. The date is 7th July 1906. The wagon had been in the mile-long Lifeboat Saturday parade, in which most of the town's…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/MOT00141.jpg
A general view from Holebottom showing the railway cutting across the centre of the town. Clearly visible on the right are Christ Church and its Vicarage. The former Ridgefoot Mill complex can be seen abutting the viaduct.

From a lithograph by…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2