Browse Items (12 total)

  • Tags: Kildwick

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05926.jpg
Slide 11 - Inside more than one of the bedchambers the Jacobean character of the architecture is fully preserved.

This room, no doubt, was originally an upstairs parlour and has oak wainscoting to the walls with long fluted panels as a frieze.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05925.jpg
Slide 10 - The oldest part of the hall is now the kitchen, which is dated 1673 and the initials HC are shown on one side of the fireplace. The initials stand for Hugh Currer, who was the builder of this portion of the hall at that date.

The…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05924.jpg
Slide 9 - The fire-place is the original one where logs and peat burn brightly on an open hearth supported by fire dogs. It may be mentioned that the fireplace was concealed by a modern mantelpiece which was only taken away in 1883 when Sir John…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05923.jpg
Slide 8 - The description Emily Bronte gives of Heathcliffe's house in 'Wuthering Heights' answers to that of the Currer's. 'One step brought us into the family sitting-room without any introductory lobby or passage; they call it here The House'.…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05922.jpg
Slide 7 - Across the road which divides the grounds, and passing through a pair of massive gate piers, we reach a lower garden.

A circular fountain is a central object where the water plays over a bed of water lilies. As seen from the south porch…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05921.jpg
Slide 6 - Another glimpse of the Hall from the west shows the older part of the house, with its quaint square headed mullioned windows in the gables.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05920.jpg
Slide 5 - This shows the east end of Kildwick Hall from the lawn. The dining room wing was built in 1858 by Miss M E Currer, of Eshton Hall. She was great book collector and died in 1861.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05919.jpg
Slide 4 - At the east end of the grounds, adjoining the wall that borders the roadway, is a picturesque garden-house. The fashion for building such houses overlooking a road or canal, came from Holland and they were nicknamed 'Gazebo', this being a…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05918.jpg
Slide 3 - The pavilion at the east end of the Terrace (though a billiard table shows the use to which it is now put) is still known as the 'Justice Room', the owner at that time being an active magistrate. In those days justice was often dispensed at…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05917.jpg
Slide 2 - After the Dissolution of the monasteries at the time of Henry V111, the Kildwick estates and Manor passed into the hands of the Currer family who built the Hall about 1673 and lived there for several generations. It now (1916) belongs to…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05916.jpg
Slide 1 - Kildwick Hall is one of our well preserved 'Ancient Homes' and stands on the sunny slope of a hill. Immediately below the house is Kildwick church or 'Lang Church in Craven', as it is commonly called.

The outlook from the front embraces…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2