Browse Items (52 total)

  • Tags: Methodist
Memorial to cricket club members who died in WW1
The new Methodist Sunday School is in the process of being built with Salem Chapel to its left. The large building to the left is Melbourne Mill prior to its demolition (illegally, at 6 am on a Sunday morning without planning consent) to make way…
Taken in 1976 by a Manchester Polytechnic photographer as part of a research project on the area.
Looking down Cragg Road towards Mytholmroyd. The Methodist Chapel, now a private house, is on the left.
Across the lower part of the photo are Mytholmroyd Station and Goods Shed with the structures on the Manchester 'up' line supported on stilts and the platforms extending over the viaduct. In the centre of this photo can be seen St Michael’s Church…
This church was located on Scout Road, and closed for worship in December 22014. The new organ was consecrated 24th October, 1903.
The procession is going up Smith Well Lane. The banner indicates the Wesleyan Sunday School at Heptonstall. Notice the Union Jack flags from several houses and the decorated arch at the top of Towngate in the distance. Postcard.
Back row L to R

Kenneth Jacques, Billy Jacques, Norman Stansfield, ? Greenwood?, Raymond Bairstow, Lyra Bairstow, Florence Dean, Eileen Beevers, Wilfred Beevers, Margaret Crowther, Jacqueline Marshall, unknown, Jonathan Stansfield

"Bed of Roses".

L to R

F. Nuttall (seated), M. Wilson, J. Davies, F. Dean, Bernard Crowther (on settee, Margaret's dad), W. Hindle, R. Bairstow, M. J. Crowther (seated), J. Lightburn
The original Salem Chapel, built 1885, replaced an earlier chapel built 1824 which only had seating for 750 with a schoolroom underneath. The new chapel had seating 1050. Falling membership after the Second World War meant eventual amalgamation with…
Situated in Midgley Road, Mytholmroyd, the chapel opened in 1888, and cost £2,500. Dryrot forced its closure in 1960 and the congregation amalgamated with Scout Road Wesleyan Methodist church.
The foundation stone of this Chapel was laid by John Wesley, and erected in 1764. The shape is octagonal. In the building of this chapel there appears to have been almost an element of romance; women as well as men, coming even from a distance and…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2