Looking along the road with Nutclough Mill water tower in the centre and on the right part of Hangingroyd Mill, the home of Hoyles, now long demolished. The car in the centre has a 1978/9 registration.
Looking up Hebden Water to Nutclough Mill top right. Keighley Road is supported above the river by a huge retaining wall at this point. When constructed as the Lees & Hebden Bridge Turnpike in about 1815 it was built on a shelf cut out of the cliff.
Undated postcard. Hangingroyd housing can be seen bottom left with Old Town top left. Old Birchcliffe Chapel is towards the top right with the new 1898 Chapel below it. Demolition appears to be taking place at the old Birchcliffe Chapel, the stone…
The old Birchcliffe Chapel can be seen with the graveyard visible before it was colonised by trees. Being built is the new Birchcliffe Chapel which was completed in 1898. Chapel Avenue is just a building site!