Browse Items (94 total)

  • Tags: River Calder

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/AGW00255.jpg
James Watson Ltd. Weavers of cotton sateens, twills and similar fabrics, 1960.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00143.jpg
Looking towards Hebden Bridge with far left the cobbled double side sloping track up to the station. The track is still there but the station closed to passengers in 1951.

The street facing you is Valley Street. In front is James (Jimmy) Mitchell's…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00140.jpg
Behind the viaduct is Calderside Mill built in the 1820s by John Whiteley, after whom the viaduct came to be named. Reputedly it had the tallest chimney in the valley.

The bridge over the canal was a very early skew bridge and also one of the very…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00244.jpg
MYTHOLMROYD COUNTY BRIDGE. The first reference to this bridge is in Holinshed's Chronicles (1577) where the river Calder is described as receiving "one rill neere Elphabrught Bridge." Elphabrough Hall was an important hall on the Cragg Vale bank of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00241.jpg
MEARCLOUGH BRIDGE is a double-arch stone bridge over the river Calder at the foot of Fall Lane. As far back as 1300 there was a corn mill here run by water, and for nearly 500 years this mill was owned by the Waterhouse family of Skircoat. Mearclough…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00237.jpg
LUDDENDEN FOOT BRIDGE was erected in 1882 by the Luddenden Foot board of Health to replace an earlier bridge washed away in the flood of December 23rd, 1880. This bridge, known as the “currie” bridge, was built between 1790 and 1795, Sowerby paying…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00223.jpg
HEBBLE END BRIDGE is a single-arch stone bridge on the west side of Hebden Bridge. In the sixteenth century it was known as Litthouse Bridge from the dye¬house near at hand, referred to in the Heptonstall Parish Register as Litte-house. On April…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00222.jpg
HAWKSCLOUGH BRIDGE, Mytholmroyd, is a single-arch stone bridge over the Calder thought to be at least 200 years old. It was built to serve Hawksclough Manor, now known as Hawksclough Farm. The house was extended in 1735 and the bridge may have been…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00213.jpg
COPLEY BRIDGE is a stone bridge of two spans crossing the River Calder. There was a toll bar here until 1856, the bridge and road up into the wood being privately owned. Until a few years ago a board showing the various amounts of toll payable was…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00208.jpg
Callis is the name of a place on the slopes of Erringden. It was named as ‘Calys’ as early as 1375. A deed dated 1604 has reference to ‘one small close adjoining the Hebble called Callishebble.’ The district is approached by the bridge over the…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00207.jpg
CALDER BRIDGE near the former Greetland Station spans the Calder and was built in the turnpike days.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00205.jpg
BREARLEY BRIDGE is a single-arch saddle-back stone bridge thought to date from the mid 18th century. An inn, the Mill Inn, later the Clarence Inn, once stood on the Brearley side of the bridge. There was a bridge there in the seventeenth century as…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00151.jpg
Weir at Sterne Mill, Copley

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TWA00111.jpg
Bridge over the River Calder at Brearley, circa 1960

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC00848.jpg
BRIGHOUSE CALDER & HEBBLE NAVIGATION SE 12 SE 4/42 Anchor Pit Lock

29. 9. 78 II

Entry to canal cut from the River Calder. Lock. Late C18. Dressed stone lock walls with large rectangular stone cappings with well formed curved ends and recess for…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC00847.jpg
BRIGHOUSE CALDER & HEBBLE NAVIGATION SE 12 SE 4/42 Anchor Pit Lock

29. 9. 78 II

Entry to canal cut from the River Calder. Lock. Late C18. Dressed stone lock walls with large rectangular stone cappings with well formed curved ends and recess for…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC00846.jpg
BRIGHOUSE CALDER & HEBBLE NAVIGATION SE 12 SE 4/42 Anchor Pit Lock

29. 9. 78 II

Entry to canal cut from the River Calder. Lock. Late C18. Dressed stone lock walls with large rectangular stone cappings with well formed curved ends and recess for…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC00840.jpg
BRIGHOUSE CALDER & HEBBLE NAVIGATION SE 1422 NE 6/40 Brighouse Lower Lock

G. V. II

Lock, leading from the Brighouse Canal Basin into the River Calder. c.1768, probably by James Brindley who completed John Smeaton's work, following the Act of…

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06053.jpg
The River Calder flows from left to right in this photo. The cemetery, top right, is off Sowerby New Road. Ref 419159

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/CBC06050.jpg
Wakefield Road runs across the bottom of this picture with the canal and river running parallel to it, and the railway at the top of the photo. Ref 419162

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TNC00491.jpg
Work on the bridge connecting Stansfield Road with Burnley Road.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/TNC00486.jpg
Work on the bridge connecting Stansfiled Road with Burnley Road to the top centre of the shot. The Abraham Ormerod health centre visible across the road.

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/WSC00150.jpg
Rear of the 'top and bottom' terraced houses on Bridge Lanes with the River Calder on the left.
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2