<<< Back

Title: Charlestown - Whiteley Arches c.1890. - RDA00140

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/RDA00140.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Charlestown - Whiteley Arches c.1890. - RDA00140

Subject

Building, Canal, Canals, Charlestown, Chimney, Chimneys, Hebden Bridge, Houses, LYR, Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, Mill, Mills, Places, Railway, Railways, River, River Calder, Rochdale Canal, Transport, Viaduct, Whiteley Arches

Description

Behind the viaduct is Calderside Mill built in the 1820s by John Whiteley, after whom the viaduct came to be named. Reputedly it had the tallest chimney in the valley.

The bridge over the canal was a very early skew bridge and also one of the very first 'bow-string' bridges to be built, but it was replaced in 1939 by the metal trough bridge we see today.


The valley is so narrow at this point that to accommodate road, canal and railway, the river had to be culverted under the road.

Source

Rene Dawson

Rights

PHDA - Rene Dawson Collection

Identifier

RDA00140.tif

Citation

“Charlestown - Whiteley Arches c.1890. - RDA00140,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed May 25, 2018, http://pennine-horizons.org.uk/items/show/24851.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Social Bookmarking