<<< Back

Title: Ledston Hall and Entrance Gate - HLS05825

http://www.penninehorizons.org/Omeka_photos/HLS05825.jpg
Click on the photo to enlarge. Click here to Comment
To license a hi-res version of this image or order a print: Copy the full title, including the number and quote this when contacting us. Not all images are available to license or print.

Title

Ledston Hall and Entrance Gate - HLS05825

Subject

Architecture, Buildings, Hall

Description

Slide 1 - The very impressive house of Ledston has a dignity and character all its own. It stands on the brow of an elevated ridge overlooking Ledston village and commanding a fine prospect of the valleys of the Aire and Calder, and in an easterly direction, the open plain of York, including the towers of York Minster and the hills above Selby.

After the Conquest, the Manor was in the hands of Ilbert-de-Lacy the founder of Pontefract Castle and Kirkstall Abbey. The place was afterwards granted by Edward the VI to the Earl of Shrewsbury, but this nobleman transferred it to Henry Witham. The grant was confirmed in the 3rd. year of Philip and Mary, and shortly afterwards the present South West front was built by Henry Witham, the date 1588 with the initials H.W. and W.W. being carved in two places.

Creator

George Hepworth

Source

Hebden Bridge Literary & Scientific Society

Date

1905 , 1900s

Rights

PHDA - Hebden Bridge Local History Society

Identifier

HLS05825.tif

Citation

George Hepworth, “Ledston Hall and Entrance Gate - HLS05825,” Pennine Horizons Digital Archive, accessed May 25, 2018, http://pennine-horizons.org.uk/items/show/7221.

Output Formats

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Social Bookmarking